- People say that you should treat your scalp like the skin on your face? Why is scalp care equally important as skincare?
Renee: “It’s so true, you should treat your scalp the same way as the skin of your face. The scalp is an extension of your face, it’s the same skin but with hair growing. Scalp care is extremely important as it gets dirty just like the face. The scalp faces day-to-day aggressors like sweat, pollution, sebum and styling product build up.”
Kylie: “Scalp care is as important as skin care as it’s an extension of your face, your scalp can effect your hair so it is very important to keep it under control.”
- Why is it so important to make sure you maintain a healthyand happy scalp?
Renee: “A healthy scalp is a happy scalp. Healthy scalp skin is less prone to drying, flaking, clogging and causing any irritation or itchiness. Think of the pores of your face, when they are healthy your skin looks healthier, smoother and it glows.”
- What are some of the causes of a dry and itchy scalp and how can you treat it?(i.e. dry air in winter)
Renee: “There are so many reasons why your scalp could be dry and itchy but one of the most common is that during the coldest months in winter, everyone’s heating goes up and there is less humidity in the air and the skin on our scalps dry out, get flaky and itchy. Just like our skin dries out during these months our scalps do the same.”
Kylie: “Dry and itchy scalps can be can caused by many different things including product use, having a sensitive skin and outside or environmental elements.”
- How can a healthy scalp help improve the health and the quality of your hair?
Renee: “A healthy scalp is one of the main reasons your hair grows out healthy. Having a healthy scalp allows your hair to grow stronger and more resilient. Think of the roots of your hair under your scalp like the roots of a tree, if you don’t look after, water and fertilise the tree the roots and tree die. The roots of your scalp need a healthy environment to be able to produce the healthiest of hair.”
Kylie: “A healthy scalp promotes hair growth and the strength of the hair”
- What are some other scalp concerns that people may not be aware of and how can people combat them? What are some products they can use?
Renee: “There are many scalp concerns that people come across. Excessive oily scalps are quite common, you find if the skin on your face is naturally oily your scalp is generally the same. You may be suffering from dandruff which is a skin condition producing big white or yellow flakes. You may suffer from hair thinning due to different reasons or stages in your life, or you may just have a sensitive scalp skin with can lead to tightness or a dry scalp. With all the many different conditions, Revlon Professional Eksperience range that includes a Scalp Exfoliator and several different single dose Scalp Lotions will be able to assist with all of the above scalp issues, to help regulate a healthy scalp environment.”
Kylie: “Some of the scalp concerns that we often see in the salon and that we help treat with the Eksperience are sensitive scalps, hormonal hair loss, unexplained hair loss, oily scalps and dandruff. The most popular products are the Scalp Comfort Shampoo, the Revitalising Shampoo and the Mud Scalp Treatment.”
- What are some steps people can take if they want to introduce scalp care into their hair routine?
Renee: “The steps you can take are similar to your face routine, exfoliate, cleans and hydrate.
- Eksperience has an amazing scalp exfoliator called Phase 0 Scalp Prep. You put a few drops onto your scalp before you hop in the shower, massage for 2 mins then jump in the shower to do the rest of your routine. Its full of AHA which is great for exfoliating the skin, it’s very gentle and colour friendly. This is a good start to exfoliate the scalp skin then follow through with your chosen shampoo for your scalp issue to gently cleanse the scalp skin.
- Choose a condition or treatment suitable for the mid lengths and ends of your hair. A lot of people don’t realise shampoo is to cleanse the scalp like we cleanse our faces and conditioners and treatments are for the hair.
- When you hop out of the shower, add some Eksperience SOS lotion drops to marry up with your shampoo for the scalp issue. You apply them, massage in and leave on the scalp skin. These are like an antibiotic for your hair, it’s a short 2-week program twice a year and is perfect to combat any scalp issues.”